Monday 23 May 2016

Completing the NPQML

I am very proud that I have recently been awarded a certificate in middle leadership - NPQML: National Professional Qualification for Middle Leadership.

I was already a middle leader at the time of starting the course, but felt like I had jumped into the position too soon (it initially started as a maternity cover for the head of department post that the previous post-holder then never wanted back). Luckily my (now previous) school were very encouraging in offering CPD opportunities and agreed to pay for me to do the course. I thought it would support me in becoming a good middle leader rather than just getting by and relying heavily on my team.

I attended Anglia Ruskin University in Chelmsford but you can do it at various academic institutions around the country. The course was made up of self study (reading), three face to face days, participating in an online forum following each face to face day, a write up of your learning for each face to face day then your main project assignment. The main project is of your choosing (along with your sponsor in your school); you have to lead a team to work on a school improvement priority.

I thoroughly enjoyed the process of learning something new, the self study, the face to face days and the follow up from them. It was nice to have something else to focus on that is different from the every day pressures in school.

In my school I was expected to work on something for "whole school" anyway being a UPS teacher, so I was able to use that for my final project too - two birds, one stone and all that. So technically, I wasn't really doing any extra work for the final project, other than writing up my findings which I did the majority of over the summer holidays.

The whole process of applying and completing the qualification was quite straight forward and easy to follow.

Have I used much of what I learnt over the course? Probably not in all honesty. Some things were more useful than others; data analysis was particularly useful and looking at how to use data. However, it definitely gave me the confidence to continue as a middle leader and I now feel much more comfortable in my role of responsibility.

I have seen people on twitter and other blog writers slate the qualification, saying that it is pointless. These people need to understand that not everyone progresses through their career with leadership skills built in and some people need to work harder than others to develop them.

If you are in a similar situation and offered the opportunity by your institution, then I'd definitely recommend the course.



No comments:

Post a Comment